2010 Lets Rock!
Entering year three of its existence, Tier 2 A.K.A. "The Deuce" will deliver a better quality season and level of play than it has to date. There is a lot of continuity between last year and this year coupled with the addition of Frank Hurt, Robert Bateman and Belmont. The net result will be parity in the form of hotly contested games week in and week out. The Ackles Cup played to determine top-rail in this tier will feature two mighty-fine and accomplished football squads.
Ranking the conferences with teams listed in predicted order of finish.
#1. Island Conference: Parity in this division is huge! A bad game/slip-up by any of the top five could easily invert the entire order of finish. There will be no "weeks-off" on the Island and a failure to prepare will be costly. Beware of Timberline, Milne and Gulf Islands, they are not far off the mark.
- Nanaimo District
- G.P. Vanier
- EJ Milne
- Gulf Islands
- Mark Isfeld
- Robert Bateman
- Howe Sound
- Frank Hurt
- Mt. Baker
Deuce Domination: Ranking The Top Five
- Nanaimo District Islanders: The only team to defeat last year's Provincial Champions returns a solid group of players that is augmented by a very good group of battle tested JV's who are moving up. A very large portion of the 11th grade has varsity experience from the previous year and this will make an immediate impact on game preparation and intensity. The Islanders are not overly huge, but are very quick and nasty hitters. I like what the coaching staff has done the past couple years and payday approacheth. There is a feel around the program and in the school that this is going to be a special year for Gang Green. Bank on It! (Boys g. 11/12-230)
- Belmont Bulldogs: Lurking within a numerically rich roster is a core of very tough and talented football players. If Belmont gets some confidence and momentum, they will thrive. This school is made for football and easily has the best home field at any level of play in all of BC in Bear Mountain Stadium. There is massive size up-front on both sides of the ball, a sledge hammer tailback and the defensive core really likes to bring a physical game. A hint to the coaching staff here, read-up on Bo and Woody. (Boys G. 11/12-500 plus.)
- Robert Bateman Wolfpack: Coach Bill MacGregor is now building his third HS program! Coach M is a Hall of Famer and has won provincial titles at his former posts and this man stuctures his programs to win. The denizens of The Deuce had better not mistake this program as a stumbling, happy go lucky expansion program as that would be a big mistake. Look for a run based offense that is both patient and relentless in pounding the rock. Play action pass will lead to some big yardage and the Wolfpack defense will swarm. A week two exhibition tilt vs Nanaimo District will be an early season hi-lite with big ranking implications. Upset Alert! (Boys G. 11/12 310-plus.)
- G.P. Vanier Towhees: This group features arguably the best group of athletes top to bottom in The Deuce. This group will fare very well in contests that turn into brawling, physical slugfests as that is how they like to dance. However, since the program's inception in 2003, the Towhees have a history of falling prey to finesse games and teams that spend a lot of time working special teams. If this team figures out how to play complete games, they may have no peers in the league. If....... (Boys G. 11/12-320 plus)
- Moscrop Panthers: A fifth place ranking may be too low and it may also represent a bit of a motivational blessing for last year's Provincial Finalists. This year's squad is much like Nanaimo District in terms of experience and coaching continuity. They are also massive up front and with a run oriented Wing-T offense, look for some serious mileage on the odometer in 2010. Moscrop as a program is getting some legs under it and word out there has it, they are on the cusp of elevating their game to a whole other level. (Boys G. 11/12-300 plus.)
Howe Sound, Vernon, EJ Milne, Timberline, Gulf Islands: Any of these squads could catch fire and blaze their way to the top of the Deuce. The coaching, the rosters, are all there. GI's Darkhorse teams are EJ Milne and Timberline.
GI is looking forward to the 2010 battle to dominate The Deuce with great interest!! Best wishes to all who strap on their gear/coaching whistles and give their all! He knows you all play and coach with as much passion and dedication as anyone else in BC! Mad respect for all Tier 2 football players and coaches out there! Get After It!!!